I just finished tapping out my first assignment for MNT (Medical Nutrition Therapy).
It was an introduction. A getting to know you…
King and I. Anyone? Man, I make too many music theater references.
The questions included the usual, “Where are you from? Where do you work? What do you like to do for fun?” etc. etc.
One of the most beneficial questions was, “What are your thoughts at this point about internships – any geographical preference, any particular program of interest, things you are possibly looking for in an internship.”
Now, I have spent many hours researching, reading websites, googling, and dreaming about possible internships. And I think I have narrowed down the list from 244 down to a succinct seven.
They are as follows (internship emphasis in italics):
- Sea Mar Community Health Center (community) – Seattle, WA
- Central Washington University (community) – Ellensburg, WA (which does rotations in my hometown!)
- Idaho State University (general)– Pocatello, ID
- Oregon State University (Senior Nutrition Care) – Corvallis, OR
- Napa State Hospital (Psychiatric Disabilities in Long Term Care – Napa, CA
- California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo (General, Wellness Promotion) – San Luis Obispo, CA
- VA San Diego Healthcare Systems (General, Patient Centered Care) – San Diego, CA
This list is not in order of preference.
I actually have a few others in California that I am looking in to as well, but the ones I have included have certainly caught my eye.
It’s pretty exciting watching my list become increasingly focused.
I still have a lot of work ahead of me. I want to make sure these are all great fits for me. Right now I am leaning towards a community focused internship, although I am not closed off to anything! My hopes is that my Dietetic Environment class (which is devoted to exploring various sites where Dietitians work) will help me solidify this choice.
I think my next step is to make an excel spreadsheet.
Haha. Just kidding.
Well, kind of… It might be a good way to explore the pros and cons. 🙂
What are your steps before making big decisions?